The way in which science is like a religion

Many years ago in one of those college philosophy debates I was challenged with the assertion that science, as a way of looking at the world, had no more claim to correctness than religion. That it was, in effect, a religion itself.

(Do you remember those conversations? Everybody seemed filled with intellectual fervor and self-righteousness and the debates carried on into the wee hours. Somehow not too many people changed their minds as a result of what they heard. There's a lesson there....)

It made no sense. Maybe if the person who said it to me had bothered to explain what he meant, I would have been able to forget all about it, but I couldn't. It has hung in the back of my mind for 20 years, awaiting support or negation. Finally I figured it out:

Science is like religion in this way: it makes the fundamental assumption that events are repeatable. Science says that if you can completely describe a situation, and later completely reproduce the conditions, the same events will follow. This is somewhat trivialized by the fact that when science says "completely describe", it means all the way down to the wavefunctions of every subatomic particle. It also includes the caveat that even our best descriptions are probably incomplete because we're still learning. However, it is a very real assumption, and if you think about it, there's no reason to take repeatability for granted.

If it weren't for repeatability, cause and effect would be replaced by coincidence. Science wouldn't have a leg to stand on. On the "strictly speaking" level, this is an absurdly philosophical debate - all those wavefunctions are unknowable in practice. But on the "how should I live my life" level, it has created two large groups of people making choices based on radically different assumptions: either I can understand the world and predict the outcomes of my actions, or it's out of my hands. Of course most people use some mixture of those perspectives, and many people oscillate depending on circumstance and mood.

Repeatability has consequences for theological debates as well: if you would always make the same choice given the same conditions, then does free will exist? And if it doesn't, how can a person justly be subjected to heaven or hell after death? Maybe this is the tiny crack at the bottom of the chasm between science and religion.

The choice didn't exist 500 years ago, before the rationalists and the empiricists got going. It's strange to me that they did their work specifically because they hated the things people did out of superstition. Hate is a strong word, but guys like Voltaire devoted their lives to skewering religion just to make room for their new way of looking at the world. Now that science has brought us so many technologies, it's hardly necessary, and I'm repelled by that adversarial culture.

As you might guess, I have very much drunk the liquid nitrogen Kool-Aid. It's unfathomable to me that things might happen for no reason. But I rarely argue that others should see the world the same way, because I might be wrong. After all, I'm still learning.

4 comments:

  1. A lot of people believe you have to follow a rigid set of rules to get to Heaven. I don't. We are not perfect. Jesus was sent to compensate for our lack of perfection.

    There are no absolutes. Free will enters the picture when you weigh your religious upbringing against the situations in your life and make a conscious decision to go by the book or not...The notion of what is right and what is wrong is something we feel in our souls.

    That doesn't mean you should not try to do good. But loving and believing in Jesus is enough for salvation. We need to have faith in him.

    I am aware there are religions where Jesus is not the central figure. How to reconcile where all those people will go after dying? I believe they will go on to eternal life as well. Faith is what it takes and faith is not based on anything scientific, anything that can be repeated, unless, of course, you look at the beauty that surrounds you every day and believe that a higher power created all of it.

    It's a miracle and something that can never be understood and categorized by even the greatest scientific minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've grown to care much more about determinism on small scales - the specific functions and behaviors of technical things - and to care much less about cause/effect of larger things, particularly those having any human intention in their causes. Why did the majority of people believe Clarence Thomas during his confirmation hearing and a large majority some time later believed Anita Hill? Why do people buy lottery tickets against the clearly overwhelming odds of ever winning? I used to wonder about illogic and contradictions like that but now I accept them as the flawed conclusions of a human psyche that's just not designed for those issues.
    I'm afraid that for human beings, the belief in correct choice and causation is rooted far too often in automatic rationalization. Data are unconsciously selected to support the preferred belief. It's how we mentally organize the world so we can proceed in the belief that our actions can bring about desired results. Without the expectation of success for our efforts we would have no reason to strive. Supporting that expectation of success requires glossing over a lot of totally random and irrational stuff about the world to make it look predictable.
    Everyone's got to believe something. I believe I'll have a Scotch and go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I'm glad you have this faith in your life - it must add a dimension to your experiences that I can't understand. I was raised Catholic but none of those teachings resonated with me; it all just rolled off me like water off a duck's back. I try to do good in my own way, and respect the kinds of good that other people do.

    Ross, one of your comments has got me thinking: "Without the expectation of success for our efforts we would have no reason to strive." This kind of tension - needing a new answer to the question "why are we here" - must have driven the Age of Reason. It makes me wonder why the spiritual answers were no longer enough for them. Did their technology, their increasing control over nature, make Man feel more godly? Did they require a new religion whose teachings said they were the masters of the world?

    And what will be the next religion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think people will believe what they need to believe. What that turns out to be will depend on circumstances. Personally I'm rooting for the FSM.

    ReplyDelete