The Black Angels at the Beachland, 10/12/09

The Black Angels are rock and roll the way I like it: loud, distorted, and slow. Like Neil Young circa Weld, and Low.I've put their concert poster above because a few songs into the set, the singer made a gesture to the sound man about the lights. The next thing I knew, the stage was as dark as the audience. I did take this picture....


Makes you feel like you were there, doesn't it?

I failed to get a picture of the fangirl wearing the pointy ears. This is a strange thing to see outside of a comic book convention. I ended up behind her in the audience for quite a while. We had prime real estate between the speakers, in front of the stage; she spent the entire time facing away from the band. I thought about being offended, but my righteous-indignation circuits burned out years ago from overuse. Now, I'm like, whatever.

Maybe pointy ears were appropriate considering that the Black Angels occasionally remind me of Pink Floyd circa 1967. Think "A Saucerful of Secrets." This probably says a lot about why I like this band, but I don't have the musical training to explain how. So there you go. They're a hard rock Syd Barrett for the 2000s.

4 comments:

  1. Did I ever send you their CD Passover? This is so pulverisingly heavy it's like getting slammed by waves of molten lead. On Jupiter. I play it for the ponderous majesty of Rock, and to make people I don't like go away.
    Hope the show was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played "Passover" before I left for the show. I don't know why it would make anybody go away. It's not like Metal Machine Music or anything...

    Yeah, it was a good show. And I told my boss I'd be in at noon tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing: in addition to killing the stage lights, they never turned on the disco ball. The spot was shining on it but it wasn't turning. So about a third of the way through the show, somebody threw a wadded-up jacket at it and it started to sway. For the next hour, all the spots on the walls were oscillating up and down instead of traveling sideways. It was pretty funny, and kind of appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you had jazz snob vinylphiles at your house, Passover would clear them out. It's my way of saying the party's over for the crepe soles and turtlenecks crowd..

    I don't know if I could keep my equilibrium in a dark room with swaying points of light and The Black Angels playing. Kinda overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete