Getreide-Kummel Caraway Liqueur from Cleveland, Ohio

I saw this unfamiliar bottle at the liquor store and bought it just for the thrill. The truth is, there were a dozen or so unfamiliar bottles there, and this was the cheapest. Cheap thrills, that's me.


It was on the same shelf as Fernet Branca, which tastes like ass. I can happily advise you that Getreide Kummel improves upon the taste of ass by a fair margin. It is a 70 proof caraway liqueur.

Opening the bottle without reading the label or looking it up on the web, I sniffed it and thought immediately of bratwurst. ('Wait, what?') I laughed it off with a faint shudder of disbelief and poured a glass. I sniffed again. This time, not bratwurst, but rye bread. Actually, it transported me to a meal Alice makes, where a pork roast is slow cooked in a mixture of rinsed sauerkraut and barley. And caraway. And served with rye bread. Ah ... OK.

A sweet alcohol that tastes like a youth hostel is kind of like a hot girl who communicates only in Fortran. What do you do with it? But after a while, you just do what comes naturally.

3 comments:

  1. I want some, where can I purchase a bottle in SW Ohio?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my family drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you're both the same Anonymous, but ... I bought my bottle at a Heinen's grocery store in the Cleveland area, specifically one with a separate liquor store section. Try any liquor store that has a variety of mixing alcohols.

    I forgot to mention why in the title I referred to this as being "from Cleveland". It actually said so on the label. I was sucked in by the cognitive dissonance of the gothic label design and Midwest manufacturing. It is made by Paramount Distillers, founded a month after the repeal of Prohibition:

    http://www.paramountdistillers.com/product.html

    ReplyDelete