Bailout or bankruptcy?

Should the auto industry be bailed out or allowed to go bankrupt? The industry has argued that bankruptcy will result in the loss of millions of jobs from the OEMs and their suppliers. I call bullshit.

The number of new cars needed per year in America will not change. It is not economical to scale up overseas manufacturing and import all those cars ... especially when U.S. plants can be bought cheaply. Manufacturing workers and parts suppliers here won't lose their jobs. If Japanese and German companies buy the plants, they could retool them for their own (proven profitable) designs or continue to build selected U.S. designs. They would probably do some of each, retooling only the plants that have been building cars they choose to discontinue. The parts suppliers must follow suit either way.

So I say let the big 3 go bankrupt. Let their stock become worthless - anyone who's been betting it would have value deserves to lose. Let their pensions be taken over by the government. Let them renegotiate union contracts - the unions know what the risks are now. Let them stop building old makes without penalty from their dealer networks - Toyota has only three (Toyota, Lexus, Scion) and nobody misses Plymouth. Let them eliminate redundant marketing costs for essentially identical vehicles. Make them fire their management. The new management should be drawn from other industries.

I like cars. Of the dozens of models built by the Big 3, I can think of only one that I wouldn't sell if the keys were handed to me. I'm hoping for a new era in the American auto industry, one that begins by admitting to a vast failure. The average car on the road will be safer, more reliable, and cheaper. I don't know what it will be called, and I don't know where the profits will go, but I know it will be made in America.

2 comments:

  1. Um yeah, but...
    It's easy to hate on the Bloated Three because they so richly deserve it. You can get in line behind me because I've got a few more strokes for that dead horse. However I'm concerned about a major portion of our remaining manufacturing industry falling under foreign (and I don't mean hostile) control. I think for the sake of security and flexibility that we (the USA) need to have a certain minimum capacity to Make Stuff if necessary. I'm just really not comfortable with being reliant on other countries for our heavy industries. Building up our technical and manufacturing capacity cost the US dearly after WW II and I'd hate to see that expertise and know how be lost.
    That plus, the failure of the industry would be collective punishment for the screwups of a relative few arrogant people. Sure, everyone knows about the greedy and intransigent unions, the fat cat CEOs & their gold plated corporate jets fighting for the status quo because it's to their benefit & screw everyone else.
    But what about the engineers I know who spent their thirties after getting auto industry jobs in a single minded nonstop obsession to develop and improve their craft because they felt that no matter how many weekends, all nighters & skipped vacations they spent, their work would never meet the high expectations they set for their industry. There are people who believe in the American auto industry and I want them to have the chance to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete