Pencil and paper vs. computers

BoingBoing doesn't exactly need a shout-out from me, but this post is timely. Could it be that challenging yourself by working without assistance makes you smarter and, yes, faster in the long run?

As a child my main toys were paper and pencils. Colored pencils, yes, but you get the idea. We were poor, and I didn't have many of the kinds of toys that played with themselves. Now I'm a scientist. Anecdote, perhaps, but still.

Even today I find that I get lost when I'm out driving to places where I've been a half-dozen times ... if I'd been using directions or Alice had been telling me which way to go. If I have to work out the route myself once or twice, on the fly, I remember it. And as an added bonus, I remember the landmarks better instead of just driving past them looking for the next scheduled turn.

Sometimes we become slaves to our crutches.

2 comments:

  1. When my boss wants to work out an engineering problem, he always grabs a pen & paper. We're part of the generation that complains about all these kids who are whizzes on computers, but don't seem to have been schooled in the basics of drafting, & the little tricks you learn when you have to draw every line & erase every mistake.

    Mind you, I prefer to work on the computer myself, but that's because it's harder for me to visualize in 3D on paper. And my handwriting sucks. However, when I want to remember something, I write it down. First time is the hastily-scribbled note, then later I compile my notes & do a "brain-dump" into my It's All In Here notebook (not a Day-timer, not an organizer, just lined paper in the most durable spiral format I can find at the office supply store). It's amazing what sticks in your brain when you take time to write everything that second time.

    [And, yes, I keep them when they're full. You never know when you'll desperately want to figure out what happened 14 months ago]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I work they want to go to computerized lab notebooks. I can see the attraction, because you can index things and insert photos and plots into it, but I don't like the idea. My lab notebook has a lot of sketches, notes in the margins, etc.

    Also, I can take it places where I wouldn't take a laptop. And it doesn't need to be rebooted.

    I go through sticky notes like water. Now that I think about it, the smaller the sticky note, the faster I expect to deal with it and throw it away. 2" rectangles: one to two days. 3" squares: one week. 4"x6" pads: up to a month.

    ReplyDelete