Impractical Fashion

I was putting something together in the lab today and dropped a screw. I never heard the "tick" of it hitting the floor, and after a few minutes of searching, I found it in the cuff of my pants:
I guess that should tell me not to assemble things while wearing dress pants.

I used to work with liquid nitrogen. This stuff is almost always boiling (though it's extremely cold) so it splashes all over the place. One day I was wearing loafers, the kind with the stitched lip around the edge of the toe, and I looked down to see a puddle of gently bubbling LN2 on the top of my shoe. Hmm.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, at least the screw didn't bounce off and lodge in an inaccessible place. This way at least you got it back.
    When I disassemble something, which is frequently, I throw all of the hardware into an Altoids tin with a small magnet in the bottom. That way when I inevitably swat it off the bench with my elbow, the screws and washers more or less stay put. If I can't put the item back together right away, the tin gets labeled and tossed in the chassis for future reassembly.

    ReplyDelete