Albums: Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons

This is the first of a short series of posts about music.  I'll describe albums that are not famous and mostly not critically acclaimed either, but they grabbed me and held on.  I'd like to try to capture the mystique of each one for you.

Blonde Redhead is a strange band, and Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons is a strange album.  It was a strange choice to turn some of the track titles into a poem:
7.  This Is Not
8.  A Cure
9.  For the Damaged
10.  Mother
The playing is orderly and tight, with touches of syncopation, but the vocals are fragile and faltering.  These vocals, and the strange lyrics, evoke mental illness.  Themes echo through the album:  secrets, damage.  Characters are introduced as vocalists.  The progression from light through driving and back to lightness sounds like the plot of a film.  I'd like to see that film.  Maybe imagining it is what keeps me coming back to this album.


    2 comments:

    1. I give it an 86, Dick. It has a good beat and you can dance to it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I hope none of these albums earn a GONNNNNNGGG

      ReplyDelete