My lawn has stripes.


I stood in my driveway today getting ready to mow the lawn and confirmed a suspicion I've had for a couple weeks: my lawn has stripes. In this photo, especially in the more-distant parts, there are alternating light and dark green bands going from left to right.

In early spring, we spread some weed&feed on the lawn using one of those plastic push-carts that broadcasts pellets. I remember pushing it back and forth from the sidewalk (on the right above) to the house. Evidently I should have overlapped a bit more.

I guess that stuff works. *shrug*

6 comments:

  1. Striped lawns used to be done intentionally for visual effect. Viewed end-on it gives a sense of perspective. This was done with contrasting light and dark colors of grasses and lots of time and patience.
    The most perfect lawn I have ever seen was a huge expanse in front of the Bacardi building in Hamilton Bermuda 30 years ago. It was featureless, flat as a billiard table and had approximately the same texture. It looked painted on until you got on your knees and looked at the tiny individual blades of grass making it up. I can only imagine the labor to keep that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still looks good:
    http://image63.webshots.com/63/5/46/46/398254646XtyKse_fs.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, when people decide to beat nature into submission, we're not subtle, are we?

    I ran into one of those lawns in Korea. They were out there rolling it flat every morning. There were little signs all over it, probably saying "keep off the grass", but I can't read Korean.

    http://www.shineville.com/english/html/enjoy/ocean02_puttinggreen.asp

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like finely textured green. A few years ago I planted Irish moss under yew bushes. It was lovely when it filled in but I got tired of keeping out the groundcover and eventually the English ivy overran it. No I am not joking about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the English for you - give 'em an inch & they'll take yer yard.

    Actually, the moss was 'failing to thrive' anyway - too much sun. We should try it in the back around the ferns.

    We have a stripe in our backyard. One. It's under the wire that the pigeons sit on...

    ReplyDelete