Clothes make the man ... different

I wore a jacket to work today so I'd look good for the LinkedIn event tonight. It made a big difference in the way I feel. Usually I dress like a bum for work, and I'm tired of it.

I get filthy kneeling in the dust and working in a basement full of oily garbage that sticks out into the aisles. So I mostly wear jeans and flannel. That's casual, but put them on every day and you begin to expect people to call you Cletus. Over the weekend I noticed that my brother wears tweed jackets everywhere and I started thinking I could do that. I have a few dress jackets, and a red velvet one for when I want to get my swank on, but nothing in between.

So here's my solution: wear a nice jacket and trade it for the lab coat when I hit the dungeon. This makes it much easier to go out after work. And it makes me stand up straighter.

3 comments:

  1. Tweed sport coats are possibly the most versatile of all menswear garments. Add a scarf and gloves and you can be warm down to pretty low temperatures. Throw one on with jeans an all of a sudden you're 20% classier than any other denim wearer in the room. They don't wrinkle or show soil. They're rugged as hell. They never go out of style. I have herringbone ones in gray, brown and denim-ish colors. Also a sort of very dark houndstooth in black, indigo, pine green, Burgundy and cocoa that all blurs together into a warm neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind you, there's always the problem of your girlfriend/wife borrowing them, 'cause they look good on chicks too

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I broke out my blazers and wore them a couple times, for appropriate occasions. The downside: getting red wine dumped all down the front of them.

    ReplyDelete