Aviator's Cocktail


Juice of half a lemon (about 3/4 oz)
Same amount of Stock maraschino liqueur
Bombay Sapphire gin, about 1.5oz
Twist of peel from the lemon I just squeezed, without the pulp hangers-on
Shaken with ice and strained into a chilled glass

Nothing here overpowers. The lemon is reined in, the gin detectable but doesn't do that *gack* thing that too much juniper does, and the maraschino, well, it's kind of inscrutable. The maraschino has sugar in it which probably keeps the lemon at bay. Its flavors may be mellowing the gin too, but I'm not sure. And of course a twisted lemon peel dusts the top of the whole thing with those aromatic oils I love.

Nice. I'd make it again. The soundtrack: internet radio station Dinner Jazz Excursion. Currently playing Benny Carter. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds tasty. I for one don't mind the acrid oiliness of excessive juniper but the sweet version would probably be my favorite. Don't care for the name, though. I'd rather aviation and recreational substances be widely and permanently separated.

    ReplyDelete