Metallurgical curiosities, continued

This machine is sick. Its metal skin has big metal boils. Since I have a doctorate in materials, I am trying to cure it. I think I'll try hammer therapy.

Well, no, not really. The five warts on the machine are nickel "slugs". Basically they are relatively pure nickel that was spooged molten out of a nozzle onto a cold surface, where they solidified. They're made this way so they'll be easier for human beings to scoop up and carry around. I like them because they have a vaguely biological look to them, even though they're metal. It's an interesting contrast.


This is a lead airplane. Not a zeppelin, nor a paper airplane. It's made of lead (Pb) about a sixteenth of an inch thick, which I folded into the shape of a paper airplane by bending it across the edge of a desk. Lead is really soft and this wasn't too difficult to do. I was using the lead as radiation shielding for an X-ray machine I was building, and I had some extra left over.

Yeah, I like metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment