Blogger for Android

Google has released an official Blogger app for Android devices, so I thought I'd give it a spin.  (Yes, I have a Droid X now.  More about that transition later.)

I took this photo last night, outside the restaurant Fahrenheit in Tremont.  A decorative ice wall in Cleveland seems a bit coals-to-Newcastle, but it was pretty funny to see it there.

[EDIT] I'm now editing this post from the Web on my desktop.  There are a couple weak points to the app.  First, you can't browse all your posts in the list view, only the "mobile posts".  Second, any picture(s) you add appear at the bottom of the post; you can't put a picture in the middle - unless of course you go back in and edit it from the desktop later.  Third, it allows you to include labels ("local" and "socialmedia" on this post), but it doesn't offer to autocomplete with your existing labels - that's a big miss.  Fourth, when you save a draft in the app, it doesn't appear as a draft in your list of posts on the PC browser.  Until you publish it.  Which is why I'm editing this post now.  Hmm, also, it only seems to upload small versions of the photos.  My camera is eight megapixels, and the photo on my blog is nowhere near that size.  And, uh, I didn't see any way to include a link in the app, I had to come back and add that later too.  Hmf.

4 comments:

  1. Pick, pick, pick.

    No, just kidding, nice job on this review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be a classy place. Nobody's peed on their fancy frozen wall yet.
    So you hate your Samsung Alias II? I'm still using my Alias I after 3.5 years despite the come-ons of free smartphones and iPhone upgrades from Verizon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Phil! I'm probably one of the first users.

    Re. the wall, prospective urinators may have been deterred by the paper sign on the wall, which reads "Please do not deface this. Smile, you're on camera!"

    The Alias became a problem when Alice got her Droid. Suddenly she could send me six texts in a row, seconds apart, each of which would freeze my phone's UI for long moments. Every time I'd try to reply, another text would come in, and my outgoing text would get saved as a draft. Sometimes the Alias would just give up and reboot in my hand. It was massively frustrating. The keys were wearing out, and I was eligible for a discounted upgrade, so I went for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sign actually says "Smile, you're on Camera! Please Do Not Vandalize". I know that because I can read it by zooming in on the photo in my phone. That paper sign wasn't even in the focal plane, and the camera still managed to capture it legibly. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete