Pizza inspired by tapas "queso de cabra al horno"

I made an amazing pizza last night and I want to share the recipe. It was inspired by the dish "Queso de Cabra al Horno" from Emilio's Tapas in Chicago. This wonderful tapas is garlic toast topped with baked tomato sauce, goat cheese, and kalamata olives.

We don't know what's in Emilio's amazing tomato sauce, so Alice made this roasted red pepper sauce recipe from Epicurious. It turned out thick, fragrant, and sweet. It took about an hour to make (15 minutes active time) though you could get away with a jarred roasted red pepper sauce.

While prepping the ingredients, I preheated a pizza stone to 475 degrees. The first thing I prepped was garlic butter:
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 3 cloves garlic
I pressed the garlic, mixed it in with the butter, and let it rest. Then:
  • 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 yellow pepper, coarsely chopped (actually I cut it from top to bottom, then sliced it thinly into long earlike shapes)
  • 1/2 cup or more pitted kalamatas, coarsely chopped
  • 5oz or so goat cheese, sliced into discs (I put it in the freezer for a while to make it easier to slice)
I spread out a ball of whole wheat pizza dough onto parchment paper and baked it on the stone for 3 or 4 minutes before adding the toppings. It blew up like a pillow and I had to stab it to deflate it - I'm still working on my crust technique, obviously.

Once the crust was baked (and re-flattened) I spread it with the garlic butter. If it looks like there's way too much butter and garlic on there, just keep going. I actually used four cloves of garlic, not three. Then on went the rest of the ingredients (I arranged the pepper strips in a sunburst pattern and finished with the cheese) and I baked it for 14 minutes.

Was it faithful to the tapas I remember fondly? Pretty close. I can tell you this would make excellent garlic toast if you left off everything else. I had added the pepper and onion for bulk, but I feel like we could have done without the pepper. Alice suggests using a sharp Spanish onion instead of the sweet Vidalia I used. This pizza was rich and delicious and I will absolutely make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment