Debugging and the Scientific Method

The coders among you will appreciate this: Can we teach debugging? The post talks about debugging as a programmer-specific application of the scientific method, and suggests that we should do a better job of teaching it. I agree. In fact, I was shocked to realize that this was the first time I can recall anyone actually defining "the scientific method" for me. I've never been anything but a scientist, but evidently the philosophy of science wasn't core curriculum in my schools.

The author doesn't actually identify himself at flatline.net, but I found it from a link in his other blog. He is a designer, art metalworker, MAKEr, etc., and lives in the Pittsburgh area, not too far from here. And just because I like to illuminate connections, I'll tell you that you could find All Art Burns, and this blog, in the unofficial WELL blogs aggregator.

No comments:

Post a Comment