Overequipped

So you know about the bike trainer. I've made friends with it. I find I like the way it makes my legs feel, the sense of power-in-reserve that I get. I want that for the rest of my body. So a few weeks ago I started doing pushups and situps and dips and whatnot. That hasn't quite caught on ... maybe it's all the cat hair on the floor that puts me off.

I needed more. Saturday I went to a garage sale and gave this dude $50 for a weight bench, two long bars, two short bars, and a heap of iron and concrete that outweighs me by a fair margin. You know what's really good exercise? Disassembling a weight set, carrying it up out of a basement in 95 degree weather, carrying it down into a different basement, and reassembling it.

I am now thoroughly overequipped - I know this is what I need, but I don't know what to do with it. I'm not going to touch the stuff yet until I have a basic idea of what's safe and advisable. My plan is to have a friend who's fitter than I come over and get me started with a few basic exercises and do's and don'ts. After a month or so of that, I'll hire my wife's trainer to come over for an hour or so for advice.

I've become quite enamored of the classifieds-and-garage-sales approach. I was looking at a $370 Schwinn flat bar road bike, but now I'm going to look seriously for a used bike. I know I'd be perfectly happy with a $100 ten-speed. That's what I've always had. Actually, what I'd really like is for somebody to show me how to mount my old Thule bike rack on my car. I've lost the manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment